User Reviews of AIDA v4
(Re)-Load AIDA Frames / Menus
Please use the menu below to review comments about AIDA v4
- Some type 1 diabetic patients write
- Some type 2 diabetic patients write
- A patient's carer writes
- The father of a diabetic teenager writes
- The father of a diabetic child writes
- A diabetes educator and nurse write
- An endocrinologist writes
- A postgraduate educator writes
- Published reviews
- A researcher writes
- Research Use
- Clinical Use
- Short user comments / 'sound bites'
- AIDA on-line user reviews
- Check out what the American Diabetes Association has to say about the AIDA diabetes simulation approach
A researcher writes:
I started working on the use of information technology tools in diabetes mellitus in 1994, and, due to my background in engineering, one of my first steps was to understand the medical problem and its patho-physiology. At the same time I also studied papers that could add a mathematical basis to the medical concepts I was learning. During these activities I read papers about the AIDA model and downloaded the AIDA program that, at that time, was running under the DOS operating system.
Since that period I have exploited the diabetes simulator implemented in AIDA in a large number of research projects, and the model was used as the basis for several Masters theses at the School of Engineering, where I am teaching. Moreover, AIDA was used by one of my co-workers at the Department of Pediatrics of the Policlinico S. Matteo Hospital in Pavia.
To mention some of the more interesting activities we did, we exploited the AIDA model for:
- Testing of different strategies (algorithms) for insulin optimization in routine care. In this area we compared different approaches, from rule-based systems, to Fuzzy-rule based systems and finally to model-based strategies.
- Testing of a new model, based on Fuzzy systems and qualitative modeling, for blood glucose forecasting in patients with type I diabetes mellitus. In this area we used the patient simulator to obtain data and test the predictions in different situations and insulin protocols.
- Education of Masters students of the school of engineering about diabetes. To this end we used AIDA to quickly introduce diabetes to people that wanted to Master in diabetes modeling.
Moreover, together with the University of Padova, it was decided to use AIDA for comparison in the development of a new simulator of type I diabetes mellitus within the European Union IV Framework funded project, called T-IDDM (Telematic Management of Diabetes Mellitus patients).
As a researcher, I am therefore in debt to the AIDA model for its help in my research activities, that fostered new approaches and ideas. As a teacher, I believe that it is a valuable instrument for teaching students that do not come from the school of medicine and who quickly need to learn about diabetes regulation mechanisms.
Riccardo Bellazzi, PhD
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
Universita' di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Descriptions of other research applications which have made use of AIDA can be found on the Research Use page.
Return to Top of Page If you like AIDA, why not display our logo on your home page? For more information about linking to the AIDA Website please click here.
Return to AIDA Website Home Page AIDA is a freeware diabetes software simulator program of glucose-insulin action + insulin dose & diet adjustment in diabetes mellitus. It is intended purely for education, self-learning and / or teaching use. It is not meant for individual blood glucose prediction or therapy planning. Caveats
This Web page was last updated on 9th December, 2000. (c) www.2aida.org, 2000. All rights reserved. Disclaimer. For the AIDA US Mirror Site, please click here. For the Diabetes / Insulin Tutorial, please click here.